Monday, August 15, 2016

Product Review: Selkie Herbal Hair Detangler

Hello, hello! Hope you're all having a great summer! I sure am. And yep, my hair's still growing along. I'll be posting a fun update soon showing my growth progress! 

Today, I've got a review for a product I picked up on a whim that's become a real staple in my haircare routine- it's Nightblooming's Selkie Herbal Hair Detangler.



-The Lowdown-

I have somewhat fine, tangle-prone hair that tends to do best with coney conditioners. This herbal, cone-free and mineral oil-free serum promises to deliver smooth, detangled hair. Does it deliver? Let's find out!!!

-The Ingredients- *

(From the Etsy page)

Distilled water, Marshmallow root, slippery elm & fenugreek seed herbal infusion, Aloe vera gel, Apple cider vinegar, Argan Oil, Borage Oil, Camelina Oil, Vitamin E Oil, and the essential oils of Catnip, Cedarwood, Lavender, Lime, Petitgrain, and Sage

-How to Use-

You can use this detangler a couple of different ways. You can use it on damp, wet, or dry hair, depending on your preference. Spray it and coat the hair lightly and then detangle with a comb or your fingers.

-My Thoughts-

This is a strong-smelling, but delicious leave-in. The scent is very noticeable - it is very sweet and almost candy-like with a hint of celery. I personally love the smell, but some people may not care for it!

Does it detangle? For me, sadly, not really, and not as well as even my regular old conditioner. I think my hair just does better with more conventional detanglers and tends to scoff at herbal and oil-based detangling products.

HOWEVER! That does not mean this is not a staple in my routine. Why? It makes an amazing hydrator.
The texture. Watery- slightly slippy.

When applied to damp, towel-dried hair, this stuff leaves my hair incredibly soft and shiny after drying. On dry hair, it doesn't do much for me, so I usually apply this after my shower, then enjoy having hydrated, soft hair for the rest of the day.

I'd like to think of this product as a hair toner, much like how I use hydrating toners for my skin. It's a fantastic leave-in, and will more than likely stay in my routine as long as Nightblooming is selling it. 

If you have hair that needs a bit more hydration, give this leave-in a try!

* I have recently read the product was reformulated because some people didn't like the smell, and that the amount of catnip was causing some people's cats to go absolutely nuts. I can definitely attest to that second fact, for sure! :P

Catnip is supposed to actually be pretty good for preventing the formation of split ends, so taking it out would have been obviously counterproductive, but I believe the concentrations were adjusted so the smell wasn't so powerful.

You can pick it up at Nightblooming's Etsy shop. She offers a sample bottle, full 8oz bottle, and a refill pouch. 


I hope you all have a great day! 

-maborosi

No comments:

Post a Comment